Thursday, June 20, 2013

Mt. Diablo, Walnut Creek, CA

I was mountain biking, mountain biking, mountain biking.  So I decided to get out of my head and go for a hike and went to Mt. Diablo.  I didn't take my binoculars; I just listened to the birds--California Thrasher, Cassin's Vireo, Oak Titmouse, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Scrub Jay, Lazuli Bunting, Black-headed Grosbeak-- just the ordinary birds of summer.  Then what do you know, a Golden Eagle appeared overhead soaring high above.  I was reminded of why I enjoy hiking so much; it gives me such joy.  Instead of memorizing a poem as I often do on my meanderings I felt a poem composing in my head and here it is:
Mt. Diablo
Mt. Diablo so beautiful I want to hug her
When I round Highway 24 there she is in all her grandeur
Lush with green just three months of the year and brown the rest
I want to put my arms around her bounteous breasts
A hike from Burma Road to the Summit will make your waist line plummet
This place I hold so dear
inspiring she bursts with penstemon, purple owl's clover, and Ithuriel's Spears all the year
Black-tailed deer and if you are lucky and quiet and respect this mighty place,
you'll see a bobcat, black-tailed jackrabbit, Alameda Whipsnake, Horned Toad, or Western Rattlesnake.
Oh how I love her, the place that has given me such solace
That even walking her trails in summer's glaring heat I long to reach her summit at 3849 feet
For when I am feeling sad and obsessing on something ridiculous
She reminds me that I am just a smote of dust  compared to forces such as plate tectonics
that formed her oak filled valleys circled by chamise lined  lofty peaks,
More powerful than all of us
And then instead of the day's anxieties
My heart and mind fill with all that pleases
The song of the returning Lazuli Bunting
A pack of coyotes laughing
Soaring Golden Eagle hunting

Mt. Diablo--  refulgent blessing
Michelle Brodie copyright 2013

No comments: